Sunday, September 5, 2010

Xing Quan's Ticket to DSTA(Edited)

Title:
Internship at DSTA( Defence Science Technology Agency)

About:
DSTA offers exciting internship opportunities, giving you insights into the thrilling world of defence science & technology. Revel in the experience of working with leading-edge technologies and get to meet the people who are charged with putting all their skills, knowledge and ingenuity to the service and security of our country. Discover how DSTA can set you off on a promising career where you will gain Respect, Recognition and Relevance.

Job Scope:
As an intern, you will undertake project assignments under the guidance and supervision of our engineers and IT professionals in the following areas within DSTA and the Service Logistics Departments of the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF):

  • Systems Engineering
    You will acquire, develop, integrate and upgrade sophisticated defence systems in technology areas from aeronautical, naval, land, armament, guided to sensor systems.

  • Information Technology
    You will harness cutting-edge technologies for command, control, communications and computer systems. You will also develop solutions in e-commerce, IT consulting, business strategy, network operations, applications development, database design and development.

  • Construction
    You will be challenged to develop innovative and effective solutions for our nation's unique defence infrastructure. You will also explore the latest developments in protective technology to enhance the survival of our defence facilities.

  • Engineering Support
    You will design and develop reliability assurance programmes to ensure optimal systems readiness and sustainability. There will be hands-on exposure to the advanced weapon systems of the SAF and a choice of working on aeronautical, land or naval systems.

Source: http://www.dsta.gov.sg/index.php/441-DSTA-Internship-Programme/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


31 August 2010

To whom it may concern,

Application for Internship at DSTA

I am writing in to apply for an Internship at DSTA. I am now currently a year 2 Engineering Student, pursuing a Bachelor of Engineering with Major in Electrical Engineering degree at the National University of Singapore.

I have always been interested in the field of Engineering and Science as evident from my involvement in the Robotics Club back in my secondary school days. Being exposed to science and technology, I am comfortable with working with new technologies and I am definite that I can contribute towards how it can be applied in our world to make life better for us.

My National Service was one that was both unusual and enriching. I was posted to an administrative vocation at SAF Basic Military Training Centre as a personal assistant to Commander BMTC. My job required me to deal with the numerous personnel serving under the commander. This had enabled me to exercise my interpersonal skills regularly.

Throughout the course of my National Service, I have rubbed shoulders with Engineers from DSTA and read numerous papers on the innovations by these Engineers. It left on me a strong impact of how important their roles are to the security of the nation which spurred me on to work in the area of national defense.

While pursuing my degree, I took time off to participate actively in co-curriculum activities. They not only enriched my university life but also imparted to me life skills that can neither be coached by books or preached by teachers . I also took up leadership positions such as vice-president of The Photographic Society of NUS as a self challenge to manage an organization as well as to hone my management skills which will be useful in the future. Hence, I am confident with leading a group of people in working on projects.

DSTA has been doing very well in research in areas involving defence science and I want to be part of it. I will be able to learn many useful skills and harness my fundamental knowledge as an intern with DSTA. These skills and knowledge will be useful for my future careers in the field of engineering.

With my strong interest in technology and my passion for greater challenges, I believe that I am a suitable candidate for this position. I have enclosed a copy of my resume with additional information about my qualifications. I would be available for Internship from May 2011 to July 2011.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Hope to hear from you soon.


Yours Sincerely,

How Xing Quan


12 comments:

  1. Hi Xing Chuan,

    It was great that you mentioned your past interactions with DSTA engineers. This makes your genuine interests in DSTA more convincing. Also it adds a "standing out" factor in this letter.

    However, in the 5th paragraph, there are quite some "I feel" there which do not seem to be very professional. Maybe you could twist this paragraph to mention how your skills and knowledge could benefit DSTA.

    On the whole, it is really an impressive letter! Good luck for your application next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Xing Chuan,
    The application cover letter is very exhaustive and impressive.

    Avoid using words-- "I feel" , especially when you are mentioning about company's work.

    "I am writing to apply for an Internship at DSTA"-------- no need.

    There is one problem in each paragraph: You only need to mention your experiences and skills for the job and your determination to get through with it.It must reflect like this just like Xi Xi post. What is wrong is that you use words like " I am deeply intrigued" , " It left a strong impact....." which more or less takes away the reader from main point of applying for the job. What exactly you have done, what exactly you will gain from this internship and what exactly are your skills suited for this job is all we need in cover letter.

    I hope you are understanding my point.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Xing Quan!

    It is great that most of your past experiences are very relevant to your job requirements. Hence, I feel that your approach towards the application fits very nicely with the job scope. It also makes your letter stand out as your interest towards the job is evident. Though you sound quite persuasive, I feel that you could increase the persuasiveness a little more. Use more words like, "I am definite" to show your future employers that employing you is an assurance. (:

    I realised that your format of your letter is wrong. You forgot to add your own address and that of your company's. (:

    There are also some grammatical errors here and there. But overall, well done! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alicia,

    Thanks for the kind comments:) Indeed working in that field have been a long term ambition hence all the relevant stuff that I did. Yup, I do feel that(opps sorry not intended) I have really use too much "I feel" in my letter. I think that this will make the employees think that I am self-centered and not aware of the other happenings.

    However, I am a bit uncomfortable using such strong words such as "definite" as I do not want to sound so cocky. Not really sure whether this should be really done though. I think I will have to clarify.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Shivam, thanks for your insightful comments.

    Regarding the first line of my letter, I feel that it is necessary as it tells the reader the objective of the letter, sort of like an introduction. But I will go check it out to see whether its really necessary.

    About being more focus on the job, I think its a rather valid point given that the main purpose of the letter is to sell yourself. I will review it again and see how I can better focus on the job. Tks: )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Xi Xi,

    Haha you know I really think that your comment and shivam's are really 2 ends of the story. Shivam was like telling me to be more focus about the job and you are telling me that my "little story" made my letter stand out. Now I am confused!

    But I will take both of your comments and maybe discuss with Brad. I think I will need to find a balance between both.

    Tks for all the kind comments so far: )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Xing Quan,

    I suggest elaborating more on your CCA involvements, what roles did you play and the skills you've learnt in your letter. Then, you should also elaborate more on how you can contribute to DSTA.

    Wyhow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Xing Quan,

    what i like about your letter is that you have shown your keen interest in science and technology. You brought up past experiences with much enthusiasm.

    7Cs wise, I feel you should be slightly more competent in your approach. Be more specific in your technical skills especially. For instance, pointing out what contributions you have made at the robotics club.

    Like what others pointed out, omit the words "I feel", as you will display a lack of confidence.

    Cheers,
    Alvin xD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Xinq Quan,

    Your immense interest for this position comes through very clearly. It's a potpourri of factor really; from the overall tone and persuasion level in the application to the relevance through your skills and experience to match the job requirements. Great job on that! I feel however you could show off a little sophistication in your area of study that's related to the potential projects that you are about to embark on. Such knowledgeability is always well appreciated by recruiters, especially in a science and technology based organisation like DSTA. There are some grammar errors I'd also like to highlight;

    - 'interested in the field of Engineering and Science as evident of my involvement in the Robotics Club' ---> evident from my involvement
    - 'I was posted to an admin vocation at SAF Basic Military Training Centre' ---> administrative vocation
    - 'My job requires me to deal with the numerous personnel serving under the commander.' ---> required me to deal
    - 'Through the course of my national service,I had rubbed shoulders with Engineers from DSTA' ---> throughout the course & have rubbed

    ReplyDelete
  10. continued..

    - 'It left me a strong impact on how important their works are to the security of the nation' ---> It left on me a strong impact of how important their roles are.../ It impacted on me strongly of how important their roles are...
    - 'time off to participate actively in Co-Curriculum activities' ---> co-curricular activities
    - 'They not only enrich my university life but also teach me life skills that are not taught in books.' ---> They not only enriched my university life but also imparted to me life skills that can neither be coached by books or preached by teachers.
    - 'I also took up leadership positions in my CCA as a challenge to myself to manage an organization as well as honing my management skills' ---> as a self challenge to manage an organization as well as to hone my management skills
    - 'DSTA have been doing very well in research in areas of Defence Science' ---> DSTA has been doing very well in research areas involving defense science
    - 'I will be able to learn many useful skills and knowledge in these fields as an intern with DSTA.' ---> useful skills and harness my fundamental knowledge

    I sincerely hope you do not take offense at the many errors I have pointed out and it would be most advisable to use your own discretion when editing. I think its more a case I point them out before Brad does and marks you down. And if he still manages to sniff out any, then sorry for not being able to point them out haha.

    There's only some language and format(like Alicia pointed out) issues but besides that, content wise, probably one of the more personalised and compelling application letters I've come across in our class posts. Organisation is also clear and logically structured. All the best for a successful application :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Vinod,

    No hard feelings man :) I always value your comments. They are insightful and always have something I can learn from. I am really grateful that you made an effort to point out so many points for me. Not much people will be so kind to do that :) Much just made passing comments.

    I will think through what you have wrote and try to make my application letter a awesome one.

    Tks again for the insightful comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey again,

    No mention, glad to have made a useful contribution. Even more satisfied that you took it the right way :) Its just that some people take criticism the hard way and that was weighing down on me throughout. I also realise I forgot to mention why your application holds very dear to me, simply because I have an almost equally keen interest in defense science and it was easy to relate to that. Oh and Wyhow was right about specifying one important CCA you were involved in. That's all, seeya tomorrow! Cheers

    ReplyDelete